Tzedek America Inc.
- We do not sell student information.
- We do not target ads or advertise to students.
- We do not create advertising profiles on students.
- We make student content private by default.
- We use industry standard security and best practices to protect students.
- We are transparent about our practices and will notify you if things change.
- We will delete information when a school requests it.
- We will only share information with educational agencies performing an appropriate function for the school, as part of the maintenance and development of our Service, or if otherwise required by law.
- We comply with the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), and California’s Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (SOPIPA).
This Policy governs the use of data collected by our websites at www.tzedekamerica.org and the Tzedek America Application (collectively “Service” or “Tzedek America”). This includes personally identifiable information that we collect when an account is created (“Account Information”), content is added to a profile (“Profile Content”), events (“Events”) or groups (“Groups”) are created by teachers, counselors or schools, and messages (“Messages”) are sent via Tzedek America. Any data collected by Tzedek America that may be related to an individual student is considered “Student Data.”
Tzedek America AND PARENTAL CONSENT
Prior parental or legal guardian consent is required before any student may use Tzedek America. Prior parental or legal guardian consent may be obtained by teachers, counselors and schools in several ways:
- Direct written or electronic submission by the parent or legal guardian of a student.
- As part of a school-wide technology consent process.
- Teachers, counselors and schools may agree to act as the agent or legal guardian of the student and provide consent on his or her behalf for the sole, exclusive and limited purpose of using Tzedek America to participate directly in appropriate educational pursuits and functions offered by the teachers, counselors and schools.
INFORMATION COLLECTED BY Tzedek America
Account Information: We collect a student’s name, email address, password and profile picture when an account is created. We may also collect a student’s telephone number if it is entered. This personally identifiable information may be entered by a teacher, counselor, school or student, or populated from the student’s account with a third party sign-in service such as a Clever account.
Profile Content: Tzedek America also collects content that is added to a student profile. This content may include photos, files, notes, hyperlinks, and other ways of documenting student participation. We regularly add types of information that can be uploaded to a profile, and these are all covered by this Policy.
We also collect comments on posts in a student’s profile which may be text. Profile Content that is uploaded by a student, teacher, counselor or school may be considered a student education record as defined by FERPA.
Messages: Messages that are sent and received in Tzedek America by teachers, counselors, students or others are collected by Tzedek America.
Signatures: Tzedek America collects signatures in the context of off-site supervisor verification. We will not use any signature in any activity outside of the explicit purpose to confirm authenticity of the log.
Log Information: When a student uses our Service, we automatically collect some types of data relevant to how the student uses our Service, such as browser type, referring site, the date and time of use, connection information like ISP or mobile operator, Internet Protocol (IP) address, log in and log-out times, volunteering activities and preferences.
Communications: Tzedek America collects any information a student sends to us directly, such as email communications.
Log Data: When a student uses our Service, we receive log data such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, device information and your mobile carrier. In addition, we may receive or collect additional information such as the referring web page, referring search terms and pages visited. If Tzedek America is used by a teacher, counselor, parent or school administrator, Tzedek America may use his or her IP address to determine his or her approximate location for the purposes of sending to him or her customized marketing and other information about our products.
USE OF INFORMATION BY Tzedek America
We only use this information to improve our Service. For example, we use this collected information to:
- Allow a student to access and use our Service by verifying his or her identity and storing his or her Profile Content, Events and Messages.
- Allow teachers, counselors and schools to access and use our Service.
- Provide users with customer support.
- Analyze trends of users to improve and develop our Service, and to develop new features.
- Promote new Tzedek America products and services to teachers, counselors, parents and schools.
- Investigate, detect and prevent activities on our Service, including those that we believe may violate the law or applicable regulations. At the request of a school, we may investigate accounts to determine whether they comply with school policies.
A student may withdraw consent for the collection of his or her personal information at any time, and also may decline marketing communications from us, by providing written notice to us.
Tzedek America PROHIBITS SHARING OF STUDENT DATA FOR ADVERTISING
We do not share Student Data for advertising or marketing purposes, or allow data collection by third-party advertisers or data brokers. We do not allow in-app purchases for student accounts.
LIMITED SHARING OF STUDENT DATA BY Tzedek America
We do not sell or otherwise share Student Data with any third parties, except for the limited purposes described below:
- We use a small number of third-party services in order to operate and improve Tzedek America. For example, a data center operator that manages our Servers or a notification service that helps us send student messages about his or her account. These services need access to the student’s personally identifiable information in order to work (i.e., student email address is required to send email to him or her), but are contractually prohibited from using that information for any purpose other than to provide the necessary service to Tzedek America.
- Tzedek America may disclose applicable Student Data to comply with a valid legal request, such as from law enforcement, or to comply with applicable laws or regulations. Tzedek America may disclose student Account Information and Profile Content to a school district upon request, as required by FERPA.
- If organizations ask us to nominate rockstar students for their programs, we will get your permission first.
THIRD-PARTY ANALYTICS SERVICES
Tzedek America analyzes aggregate and uses data to improve our Service and further our development. To help us analyze this data, we use a small number of third-party services. These services are contractually obligated only to use data about your usage of Tzedek America to provide analytics services to us. These services are prohibited contractually from sharing or using Student Data for other purposes.
We also use third-party conversion tracking services only to understand if a teacher or counselor signs up for Tzedek America after seeing an advertisement for Tzedek America. None of the data a student shares with Tzedek America (i.e., Account Information or Profile Content) is shared with these services.
Cookies are small text files that we transfer to a student’s web browser that allow us to identify the web browser and store information about a student’s account. We use these cookies to keep a student logged in to Tzedek America, customize the student’s experience, understand the student’s use of our Services, and promote our Service to teachers, counselors and schools. A student may choose to disable cookies in his or her browser settings. Please be aware that Tzedek America will not work properly if the cookies and disabled or declined.
Web beacons are electronic images that can be used in the Service or emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, track the number of visits to our website, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
SHARING OF EVENT AND GROUP INFORMATION
Tzedek America is designed for safe sharing by its users. Teachers, counselors and schools control with whom Events and Groups are shared, and they must approve any and all student users before access is granted. Teachers, counselors and schools may choose to publish certain content to a public post. The applicable teacher, counselor or school will determine if students may share their content with other students. Parents or legal guardians may request in writing (electronic or otherwise) that teachers, counselors or schools grant student account access to other individuals. The school administration must approve or decline the request, within five business days of the request, at their sole and exclusive determination, which shall not be withheld unreasonably. If approved, the parent or legal guardian may share the student’s account or content in accordance with the approved request; however, Tzedek America has no obligation, responsibility or liability for any sharing of the relevant account or information by the student, parent or other individual.
VIEWING AND EDITING PERSONAL INFORMATION
A student has the right to access, correct, delete or download for transport to a similar service any of his or her personal information collected by Tzedek America. A parent or legal guardian may correct, edit, download or update information in his or her child’s account by contacting either the relevant teacher, counselor or school directly, or us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A parent, legal guardian, teacher or counselor may update the information in his or her Tzedek America account either directly by logging into his or her Tzedek America account and viewing the Account Settings tab on the profile, or by contacting us at email@example.com
If you would like to delete your Tzedek America account or any content submitted to Tzedek America, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a teacher, counselor, or school administrator, please be aware that FERPA requires us to retain student education records once a valid request to inspect those records has been made.
Tzedek America uses numerous safeguards to protect the integrity of your personal information, including the use of access-controlled data centers, routine third party security audits, restricted employee access to user information, data encryption in transit and encryption of Profile Content at rest. In the event of a security breach, we will notify affected account holders within the amount of time required by law.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
At its sole, exclusive and unilateral discretion, Tzedek America may from time to time make or adopt changes or revisions to this Policy. If we make changes or revisions to this Policy that we believe will materially affect your rights, we will notify you by email about these changes or revisions, and post a notice to our Service. If you continue to use our Service after you receive notice of changes to this Policy, these changes or revisions will be deemed accepted by and applicable to the account holder upon adoption of the changes or revisions by Tzedek America.
Please contact us at: email@example.com